home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Cream of the Crop 25 / Cream of the Crop 25.iso / bbs / fe146.zip / RELEASE.NOT < prev    next >
Text File  |  1997-04-01  |  3KB  |  62 lines

1. Release notes for FastEcho 1.46
  2. ===============================
  3. Copyright (c) 1991-1997 by Software Technik Burchhardt.  All rights reserved.
  5. Welcome to this intermediate release of FastEcho, which is an update  to  the
  6. previous 1.45a release as of October 1995. Not all functions  for  1.50  have
  7. been implemented yet, a lot more features are about to come, amongst them  is
  8. the long-promised  support for PCBoard and Wildcat as well as Win32 versions.
  9. However, it contains some other goodies many users have been bugging  me  for
  10. endlessly.
  12. Amongst them are:
  14.         * native OS/2 FESetup as well as a 32 bit DOS extended version, now
  15.           no more out of memory problems for huge configurations
  17.         * 6 more groups (more can be expected for 1.50)
  19.         * 4096 areas (more to come as well)
  21.         * reporting of runtime errors and warnings by NetMail, so you don't
  22.           have to check your log file to see if something has gone wrong
  24.         * enhanced AreaFix functions including .RUL file handling
  26.         * quite a bunch of bug fixes and other smaller or bigger enhancements
  28. For FESetup I've switched to a new version of the TCXL library to make the 32
  29. bit and the OS/2 version possible. While doing this switch I also changed the
  30. compiler, FESetup is now compiled with Watcom C++ 10.0a. I also got WC++ 11.0
  31. but due to several reasons I chose to stay with 10.0a for now. The plan is to
  32. use the Watcom compiler for FastEcho and FEUtil as well, but I didn't want to
  33. let you wait any longer till this change is performed and the new .EXEs  were
  34. extensively tested, thus the release now. You will notice a major  difference
  35. in the size of FESETUP.EXE (though the memory consumption is not as  big  due
  36. to overlay management) plus some cosmetical enhancements introduced with  the
  37. new TCXL version. You will  also  notice  a  reasonable  delay  when  loading
  38. FESetup and FESetup/32 before the setup screen pops up, but that's normal.
  40. Even though this "new" FESetup has been tested for a few months, it still may
  41. contain some bugs or may not behave as wanted in every place. If you find any
  42. oddities which did not occur with 1.45a, please feel free to tell me so I can
  43. change or fix it.
  45. I will not make any promises for the release of 1.50, except that there  WILL
  46. be a version 1.50 (and maybe even another 1.4x in between). I don't know  yet
  47. when I'll come to get everything on my large to-do-list done, escpecially  as
  48. I'm about to come to the graduation phase of my  studies.  Though  I  promise
  49. that I won't let you wait another 1 1/2 years for  the  next  release/update.
  50. This delay was mainly caused by other important projects both for  university
  51. and business and originally not intended.
  53. Anyway, have fun with the new version and I hope it's not necessary  to  take
  54. it as a April-1st kind of joke. ;-)
  57. Waltrop, 01 Apr 1997
  59. Tobias Burchhardt
  61. [EOF]